Thursday 1 March 2012

February 29th

Mischievous voices,

The laughter of woodpeckers,

Spun through the grasses.

 

Went for a run with my neighbour and friend Bob, we both needed an incentive. The winter has been so dry the moors were fine to run on. It seemed at every turn a Green Woodpecker would make that very distinctive laughing call. Laughing at our efforts no doubt. Well Mr Yaffle, we’re getting faster, so there!

Here’s a couple of photos I took, from only a couple of weeks ago, when we had our cold snap and our snow. The weather is so mild now so it feels like a sudden transition. Green Woodpeckers are one of my favourite birds, that exotic green in a bird so large. And that red flash on its neck. I remember the excitement I felt the first time I saw one, it’s just such a good looking bird.

We were lucky to see this one, I assume it was digging for food at the time.

  

No comments: