Tuesday 28 February 2012

February 28th

Blackbirds duel at dusk,

Songs soaked in battleship grey,

Echoes bounce off steel.

 

Most of my Haikus seem to be about birds. That’s because birds are awesome. Tonight, I left work around 6.30, it was pretty much dark. The car park was quiet apart from two blackbirds having a sing off. I could see one of them quite clearly, taking the high point in the photo above. The little spot on top of the tower.

The complexity of a blackbird song is impressive, trills and tuneful whistles, no two compositions the same. One would start, then the other would reply. It was loud. This is the the time of year when territory is all important. Spring is pretty much here. Time to find a mate and nest. The two combatants were fighting it out for the large but spartan landscape of our work car park in Stevenage. For what little foliage there is.

1 comment:

Yasminselena said...

: ) You've just written a Haiku about my favourite bird for it's song. We've had a pair living in my parent's front garden forever. When I go home I feel a little extra buzz if I spot them. My mum calls them Mr & Mrs Blackie. They sing the sweetest song, hands down. x