Sunday 12 February 2012

February 12th

Paw twitch, blissful smile,

Hot sun, splayed in meadow grass,

Birdsong, Katie dreams.

 

While I was writing my other blog on Art by Animals, our cat Katie was in the room, asleep on her (current) favourite chair (she rules the roost, she changes her favourite place periodically whilst simultaneously dislodging any human from that place).

Although Katie and cats in general sleep around twenty hours a day, I rarely see her go into a deep sleep. She only does this when she feels safe enough to do so, often just opting for the “foxes doze”, one eye ready to open. Not that she’s got any reason to feel unsafe, but as she has a catflap, she’s always aware that an intruder may come in and she’ll have to shoo them off if we’re not around.

So anyway, whilst I was writing, she was dreaming, the corners of her mouth curled up in a little smile* and her paw was twitching, no doubt a lovely dream about her youth, stalking and catching birds. She’s got a happy life bless her. Cats and especially Katie are wonderful companions. And I don’t care if you compare me to the Cat-Lady in the Simpsons.

*I know cats can smile. Look! She’s smiling in her sleep!

No comments: