Friday 2 March 2012

March 2nd

Iron rich water,

Red reflection receding,

Mallards flee the ditch.

In the moors* the water is very ferric, that is, rich in iron (not sure why I’m patronising you by explaining it!).

The river Flit water used to be bottled and sold as a strengthening tonic. The water has a red tinge, at certain points in the river or the tributaries, where the iron deposits on rocks or pebbles, it is blood red. It’s quite incredible. When it snows the red looks is very vivid, like something has been blood let upstream, against the white.

The last few days I’ve unfortunately disturbed Ducks with my running, they fly out of the ditches of the river. I didn’t mean to, I just couldn’t see them as the banks were so high and the water level was so low.

* – sorry, another post about the moors… oh, and birds! :)

No comments: