Friday 20 April 2012

April 19th

 

Under palace view

he swims between the raindrops

to build their warm nest

 

I went to get my passport sorted, a four hour appointment, bit pricey but convenient. I decided I would walk back to the office in Baker Street from Victoria Station. In St James Park near Buckingham Palace, I stood and watched as two coots were building their nest, the male (I assume) was collecting grasses from the edge of the pond, then swimming back to the little haven island, beak full, where the female would gratefully receive the bundle and arrange them lovingly into the cosy bowl of their nest. I watched them repeat this a few times, until the the heavens opened. I then made a dash for the nearest tube station. It’s the sort of little detail I’d have missed normally, but I’m seeing so much more this year, I’m really looking at things. I’m being rewarded for my patience. I’ve never seen birds in the process of building their nest before. It felt kind of special to witness.

Pics I took, not great quality, with my iphone.