Saturday 14 April 2012

April 12th

 

It’s more important

to show compassion and love

kindness is magic

 

I watched Ricky Gervais’ new pilot, set in an old peoples home. His character Derek (also the name of the show) is a gentle, middle aged man with learning difficulties who works there. It seems to have divided opinion between those who hated it and rated it. Some reviewers have given it a mauling, because of the controversial subject matter, but also, I think, in part because for some, Gervais is unpalatable. Somehow insincere or perceived as churning out the same fly on the wall mocumentaries.

Yes, Gervais can be annoying… but, I disagree with the negative reviews, the subject matter is dark and although there are some slapstick elements, it’s not overtly a comedy and doesn’t disrespect Derek or people with learning difficulties. It didn’t dilute any love you feel for Derek or how much you end up rooting for him and caring for him. In half an hour, you are totally on Derek’s side. Gervais for all his cringe making comedy creates characters with warmth, who you really empathise with. They feel real, they aren’t saving the world, they don’t claim to be heroes, they are just normal people, trying to get on, with the same fears and doubts as the rest of us.

When Derek’s favourite resident, Joan, passed away, after he’d gone out to buy her a lottery ticket and a scratchcard, I was choked up, fighting back the tears. He was so delighted that she’d won £10, only to find out she had died. With shaking hands he put her winnings in her purse and spent some poignant moments with her. The best bit of writing and acting in the episode for me was when an emotional Derek reminisced about Joan. It looked like his tears were real.

Derek said “She said 'Kindness is magic Derek, its more important to be kind, than clever or good looking.' I'm not clever or good looking, but I am kind.”

There was something so desperately lonely about Derek. So wanting to be loved and accepted. So yes, Kindness is Magic.

2 comments:

Klaudia said...

Thank you! Very glad. I enjoy your haiku a lot!

Yasminselena said...

I didn't see Derek and nothing I'd read about it had changed my mind up until now. I'm going to find it online now and watch it and brave Gervais's punch me face! x