Sunday 1 January 2012

January 1st


The song thrush joyous,
Lift the fog behind my eyes,
A new year begins.
 
An inauspicious start to the year, awake before sunrise, head full of cold. Didn’t celebrate new year, watched Match of the Day and went to bed.
The weather has been so mild it seems the birds are either confused, thinking Spring is coming and are making a concerted attempt to establish their territory, or are just happy (if you can assign such an emotion to birds) that they aren’t waking up frozen. Thus they have the energy to sing. So when light did start breaking, we heard the Song Thrush. Couldn’t see it, but you know it will have its chest puffed out, taking the highest vantage point to sing their intricate compositions.
Despite feeling ill, this has cheered me up.

Shame I’m missing the traditional family New Years Day barbecue today and despite the temptation of charcoal grilled lamb I wont be able to manage the drive, putting aside the fact it would be in bad spirit of me to turn up and infect everyone with my lurgie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! My favourite birdsong is the blackbirds. I honestly feel they sing the sweetest song. I have a CD of Birdsong somewhere I've never played. I might see if I can find it. Hope you feel better soon. x

Anonymous said...

And I agree this shockingly mild weather must have left them very confused indeed. I just hope it doesn't screw things up come nesting/hatching time if winter bites back.