Thursday 6 September 2012

September 6th

eyes closed in Eden

a freedom in solitude

rainbow melts deceit

Went to a gig with an old friend Alex. We saw various acts pay tribute to Talk Talk. For me their two last albums, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are just sublime/seminal.

Frontman Mark Hollis’ solo album was also beautifully melancholy. Although we weren’t overly enthused with all of the acts playing live, the double covers album of Talk Talk/Hollis songs which was being played sounded amazing.

Although the original albums didn’t do well commercially, the amount of musicians who cite them as influences is impressive, hence the array of talents who have dropped a cover version for the covers album.

I draw on Hollis’ writing themes in today’s Haiku, although I’d never claim to be as good of course.

For your listening pleasure, the incredible Laughing Stock. Stick with its strange mix of rock, jazz, noise and silence. It’s incredibly rewarding. A little known masterpiece.

1 comment:

Yasminselena said...

I feel the Talk Talk love, I should listen to more of their stuff. Mark Hollis had an unmistakable voice. I heard he retired from music?