Friday 14 September 2012

September 14th

tan, pale gold and black
a tortoiseshell collective
the wonder of cows
I like cows, they have a wet nosed dignity about them. On the moors there are a number of them, wandering as they please, some of them have young, who occasionally skip into a playful gallop. I noticed today, that the young are getting bigger, almost as big as their mothers. They are beautifully coloured, a damp sheen on their smooth coats, a mix of pale gold, brown, tan and black.
When I was younger, growing up in London, I had more chance of seeing an elephant than a cow, as trips to the zoo seemed more frequent than trips outside of London. Occasionally, and by that I mean every other year, my dad would drive us on a day trip to Southend, Face pressed against the glass of his sea green Austin I’d be excited if I saw a cow in the distance as he would drive to the coast.
Even today, there is a sense of wonder I get from domesticated animals, but I’m a bit more used to them now I live in the country!

No comments: