Thursday 27 September 2012

September 27th

Cleopatra eyes

jump suits, disaffected youth

flowers of romance

Trying to capture (cheesily!) the spirit of the late 70s/ early 80s. Some great bands around then. Siouxsie and the Banshees, PIL (whom I quote in the final line), The Stranglers, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Tubeway Army and many more. I wasn’t old enough to see those bands then, but with this trend in bands reforming, I’ve had many opportunities to catch up for some of them.

Tonight I saw Ultravox live at Hammersmith, they’re a bit older, greyer, but were still fantastic. This was the second incarnation, fronted by Midge Ure of course, although I love the John Foxx stuff too and saw him live recently (check my other blog).

Shame some nutter lady smashed a trifle/custard pie on Midge’s head during the encore!

Anyway, here is one of the tracks from their 1980 Vienna album. “Mr X”. Not a single, but crazily dystopian with great synth and drum work, not forgetting Billy Currie’s Viola.

No comments: