Thursday 4 October 2012

October 4th

 

the railway arches

scrubbed of their coal blackened past

the dead builders craft

Every time I visit St Pancras station, I notice something new, whether I’m inside or out, there is always some detail, a little embellishment. I wish I took a photo, but I was in a rush so I can’t share it with you, on my next visit though, then yes.

Today I saw how beautifully clean the arches were, which now house cafes and shops. Also, some Victorian mosaics, restored and gleaming, high up near the new glass roof.

The work put in to make St Pancras so modern, yet sympathetic to the age in which it was built, is to be applauded.

I felt kind of sad, as I guess that many people died making such a magnificent structure back in the day, then my mind wanders, who remembers people like this? Their families did I’m sure, but are they commemorated in any way? Or is their memory lost to time.

No comments: