Monday 18 June 2012

June 18th

 

black white shades of grey

little boxes filled with youth

fledglings come to life

The death notice archive of photos kept by the Greek newspaper is huge. The photo used in the death notices is also used in subsequent remembrance notices, where family and friends are invited to remember loved ones after 40 days, 3 months, 6 months, then every year.

The photo is usually from a time when the person is young and happy, free of sickness and the shadow of Charon.

The lady who works there said they use copies for convenience / size, these copies are all filed, but the originals are all kept in boxes / storage. Unfortunately they are not in any order as they’d moved premises. If I’d wanted to collect my dad’s original photo, I was welcome to book a time to look through them and pick through the photos till I found him. I can just imagine each box of original photos being opened, brimming with smiles, grateful for being given the gift of light.

There’s something ever so sad about that. I’ll make sure to not damage any photo, to respect every loved one when I go back there to look for him.

No comments: